Trixbox w/ DNS SRV records?

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:55:18 EDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> Has anybody here implemented name to extension mapping with Trixbox,
> SIP, and DNS SRV records?
> The idea is somebody places a SIP call to 'bill at bfccomputing.com' and
> it looks up the DNS SRV record, finds that my SIP server can be
> reached at librescu.bfccomputing.com:5060/udp and then [unknown goes
> here] 'bill' gets mapped to 'extension 101' and the call goes
> through.  I see no reason why phone numbers can't be relegated to the
> same class of information as IP addresses in this day and age, so I'm
> keen to make this work as 'the right thing to do', even though I
> suppose nobody will use it right away.

  I'm a little confused here.  The caller will end up communicating
with the server for bfccomputing.com, which your SIP phone registers
with.  The server will then automatically transfer the call, in either
a supervised or unsupervised manner, which tells the caller to talk to
you directly at [unknown goes here, specifically, your IP address],
OR, depending on your configuration, call you directly and 'link' the
two seperate calls together.

> So, I'm curious as to how that unknown bit works.  My level of
> knowledge on the technology boils down to 'has a Trixbox server
> running and has played a bit with some asterisk config file tweaks',
> aka 'don't know much about asterisk'.  I've done some googling on
> this and found a couple configuration hints, but no howto's or even
> really a theory of operation.
> Hints, advice, ideas, and sabots appreciated.

  SIP can already do what you're talking about, without the server
needing to actually manage any sort of DNS records.

--
-- Thomas