Rebuilding RHEL3 libc.so from source

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 13 19:31:04 EDT 2007

A couple more points:

Ben wrote:
>> http://bradthemad.org/tech/notes/patching_rpms.php
>
> That's pretty much the standard drill on how to build a package.

I understand that, but it wasn't originally my goal to build
an RPM, just to recreate libc.so so we can try to reproduce a
certain fault and then instrument it to catch it in the act.
I'd thought (hoped) I'd end up with a build area full of
extracted sources that I could just mess around in.

Also, I forgot to mention something weird that nudged along my
current path: when I just allowed rpmbuild to totally generate
an RPM from the SRPM start to finish (using rpmbuild --rebuild
blahblah.src.rpm) the outcome was much more as expected, with
the resultant libs inside the RPM similar in size to those of
the installed versions.  So I'm hoping that whatever voodoo
made that (appear to) work out will also work to my advantage
with the current approach.  It's as if different compiler
options (or something) get used when you say "rpmbuild -bc ..."
versus "--rebuild" though I suspect that's not actually what's
happening here...