CentOS5 mediacheck failing

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Sun Jul 15 14:19:06 EDT 2007

Trying to install CentOS5 from CD on a new server, Dell SC430, Pentium-D
2.8 GHz, 1 Gb RAM, 2-250 Gb SATA drives. I had previously installed FC7
from the LiveCD and run it though some basic functionality tests, SMART
drive long tests, etc. Everything appeared to work fine.

Booting the CentOS5 CD #1 (no DVD drive), I ran the mediacheck, since I
hadn't tried this set of disks before. Test zipped right through 1%, 2,
3, 4,... until about 91% then it got really slow. The CD would stop
spinning, and just start fitfully every minute or two, and finally
report FAILED. Testing on two other machines, the same CD reported PASS.
 Same problem with CD2, fail on this machine, worked on two others.

A similar thread running on BLU suggests the newest Knoppix use the new
libata drive and might have trouble with 'legacy' ATAPI drives.

I've read the CentOS release notes and attempted to Google for clues.
There's nothing in the installation logs to indicate an error condition.

Can anyone suggest what to look at next?

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC