MonadLUG Notes, 12-July-2007

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Jul 19 14:18:54 EDT 2007

On 7/19/07, Charlie Farinella <cfarinella at appropriatesolutions.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 19 July 2007, Flaherty, Patrick wrote:
> > > Charlie volunteered to do a future presentation on digitizing
> > phonograph recordings
> >
> > Is this via IRENE (or IRENE like) software?
>
> I haven't heard of IRENE, I'll have to look into it.

I think this is the IRENE mentioned:
http://www.artistshousemusic.org/news/record+keeping+with+irene
It optically scans the record and analyzes the image.  I'd imagine you'd
need a special scanner; it'd be hard to scan with a standard flatbed
scanner.

I've been recording to .wav with 'rec', and using Audacity to amplify,
> remove surface noise, scratches and pops.  It generally provides me
> with listenable recordings and I'm pleased enough with the results.  If
> I have to spend much more time than that, I'll just buy a commercial
> cd.

I've run the wav file through grammofile in the past.  It would detect
(mostly) track breaks and filter the pops, etc.  It's all text & a bit out
of date.  I'm sure the automated filter isn't as good as editing the
waveform, but it's been enough for my use.

Is there another automated pop/scratch/hiss filter out there?

I do have some irreplaceable music that I'll revisit when I'm a little