A question about rsync

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Mon Jul 23 11:12:44 EDT 2007

Cole Tuininga wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 21:59 -0400, Dan Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Depends on the (numerous) options to rsync. Typically (someone correct
>> me if I'm wrong), rsync uses the size and date/time on the file and a
>> checksum. This can be modified to ignore times and force all files to be
>> checksummed.
>>

> I believe (again, someone correct me if *I'm* wrong) that it only uses a
> checksum if -c is specified.

That's what I wasn't sure of. I know rsync uses the checksum in the
algorithm to identify differing chunks of the file when transferring it,
but wasn't sure about whether it did the whole file. Thanks for the
clarification.
> On another note, if you're using rsync to make backups, cannot more
> highly recommend using rsnapshot (http://www.rsnapshot.org/)

Oh, thanks for that information. I've been writing scripts to do that.
That's a much simpler solution.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951