Microsoft Access - two questions

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Thu Jul 26 14:13:29 EDT 2007

Part of an ongoing beerspace discussion; perhaps it'll be of interest here
on the list too.  (And perhaps someone here will know the answers!)

1. It seems to me that someone (who probably knows who he is) told me a
week or so ago that for a certain period Microsoft intended withdraw Access
from the market.  (To do with ".NET is going to be The One True Way",
maybe?)  We all probably agree that as of 2007 Access is NOT going way,
even though both we and Microsoft might wish for such a future...

Did Microsoft ever announce such an intention,
does anyone know?

2. I've heard conflicting opinions as to whether Jet (the "database engine"
shipped with Access) is a relational engine or not.  Much of the marketing
fluff from Microsoft and its camp followers says "Access" and "relational
database" in the same breath, but I've heard that it's JUST fluff.
Wikipedia says that Jet is (only) ISAM...

Is Jet (Access, standalone, as shipped) a relational engine,
does anyone know?

-Bill