Streamzap install

James R. Van Zandt jrvz at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 21:06:05 EDT 2007

several weeks ago,
Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> wrote:
>   I just don't understand the general concept of what actually needs to be
>   done with lirc to get the streamzap remote to work.  The standard
>   package either does not have streamzap support in it or (far more
>   likely) I have no clue what steps to take to make it work.  I've tried
>   binaries and compling - same result - nada.  I haven't found a
>   description online that describes how to do this with FC6 and
>   streamzap.  I've seen descriptions with ubuntu and gentoo, but these
>   distros don't seem to have common enough commands or directory structure
>   to make the howtos/instructions transferrable.  (At least for this
>   noob.)  I haven't yet found a synopsis of the configuration files and
>   what they do, in particular the one that loads the driver.   streamzap
>   requires a kernel module.  I don't know how to link this in or if I even
>   need to do anything special.

FWIW I just bought a Streamzap remote, tried configuring it, and
failed.  The light on the receiver lit up when I pushed a button, but
nothing else happened.  Several other things were not working either,
so I started over, re-installing Mythdora 4.0.  Everything is now
working, including the remote.  I didn't have to do anything special
to get kernel support for the device.  Either the Mythdora kernel has
that compiled in, or selecting that remote during installation
arranges to have the necessary module installed.  Likewise if there's
a daemon needed it all happened automagically.

My impression is that if you run through an install and answer each
question correctly, then it works.  If you get a little off the beaten
track, then you have to be a real MythTV guru to fix it.  E.g. on the
typed it in.  Wrong answer - I should have left the default of
127.0.0.1.  I eventually figured that out, but I don't think I ever
got the configuration fixed.

Of course, it should first have asked "will the back-end be on a
different machine?", and if the answer was "no" then it should not ask
for an IP number at all.

So if you're still having trouble, consider re-starting the
installation.

                   - Jim Van Zandt