scp over existing ssh tunnels?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 20:35:16 EDT 2007

"Chip Marshall" <chip at 2bithacker.net> writes:

> I just gave it a try here. My ~/.ssh/config:
>
> HashKnownHosts no
> VerifyHostKeyDNS yes
> ControlMaster auto
> ControlPath /tmp/%r@%h:%p
>
> Then just
>
>    scp remotehost:~/file ./
>
> It looks like with 'ControlMaster yes' in the config, the scp connection
> was trying to set up another control socket, which was failing because
> one already existed. Setting 'ControlMaster auto' tells it to use a
> control socket if it's there, or make one if it isn't.

Ahh, so, with auto, it "just does the right thing" ?  Hmm, I don't
think I actully tried it, but assumed it wouldn't work for some
reason...  Guess what they say about 'assume' is true :)

> Also, this is a neat feature that I had never known about before. Thanks :)

It's "new" in 3.4.  I just disovered it a few weeks ago.  It's cool
feature and really helps with multiple ssh connections to the same
systems. It's also incredibly poorly marketed/documented :)

--
Seeya,
Paul