Monitoring of Internet connection

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Wed Jun 6 23:30:09 EDT 2007

On June 06, 2007, Ben Scott sent me the following:
>   I'm looking to monitor the reliability of our Internet connection at
> $DAYJOB, from the inside out.  I'm familiar (in concept at least) with
> monitoring a bunch of hosts and services with a tool like Nagios, but
> here I'm only looking to monitor one link, and closely.

You may want to check out SmokePing http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

I don't know if it does a lot of what you mentioned, but I've found it
helpful for tracking latency over time. In particular I use it at work
to serve as an advanced warning of when our DSL modem has decided to
freak out and needs to be rebooted.

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>     http://kyzoku.2bithacker.net/
GCM/IT d+(-) s+:++ a25>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+