authoring math documents (tex?)

Michael Costolo michael.costolo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 19:32:43 EDT 2007

On 6/11/07, Lloyd Kvam <python at venix.com> wrote:

> My daughter is heading back to school and will need to write Math
> papers.  She is now running Fedora 6.  (The conversion from Windows to
> Fedora happened after graduation.)  She asked me what software she
> should use for writing her Math papers, and being an old ascii text guy,
> I did not know what to tell her.
>
> Looking through the available packages I saw
>         TeXmacs
>         openoffice.org-math
> among others.
>
> Then I realized someone on this list would have useful advice.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Lloyd Kvam
> Venix Corp

What grade will she be in?  Straight LaTeX might not be too hard to learn.
There is an IDE <http://kile.sourceforge.net/> for it for Linux which might
make learning the commands a bit easier.  The PDF output rendering has
improved dramatically in the last handful of years.  But there's also LyX
which is basically a WSYWIG front end to LaTeX.

I've never liked the results I get in the word processor software packages,
but I've never used OpenOffice.  If she's inclined to like markup languages,
LaTeX is the way to go.

-Mike-

--
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards."