Recommended PCI gigabit ethernet card? OT: PC Gigabit Through put Question

Flaherty, Patrick pflaherty at wsi.com
Thu Jun 14 14:04:49 EDT 2007

I'm not the best with these bit/byte problems so I might be wrong,
but.....

A PCI bus can pass 1056 bits a second (32 bit, 33 mhz)
tcp/ip over head is somewhere around %20 (1056 * .8 = 844.8)

What can you reasonably expect a pci gigabit card to give you for
through put?

PCI Buses are generally shared (save high end server boards) right?

On top of that, if hdparm says timed disk writes are around 40MB, what
could you see for sustained download speeds? Maybe a static cached
webpage could saturate a gig connection, sustained 5 gig http download
couldn't right?

Anyone have real world answers for that stuff?

Patrick