Maintaining RHEL3 after RHAT support expires

Matt Brodeur mbrodeur at NextTime.com
Thu Jun 14 16:00:25 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 02:47:52PM -0400, Michael ODonnell wrote:

> that subscription has now expired, so I wonder if there
> is some repository of freely available packages that are
> perfectly compatible and %100 sync'd with whatever RHAT
> is supplying as bugfixes and updates for RHEL3.  In other
> words, if I install something from that repository I like
> to still be able to say with a straight face that it's an
> RHEL3 box.

I guess that depends on how much you can bend the truth and keep a
straight face.  If a package didn't come from Red Hat's build system,
it's not a RHEL package.  I don't know of anyone freely redistributing
the RH-built update packages.

You can come REALLY close by switching the system to CentOS:
http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS3#q5
At that point it's technically CentOS 3, not RHEL3.  It's the same
source RPMs as RHEL, but rebuilt by an external group (usually with a
delay of up to a few days).  For the purposes of application
compatibility it shouldn't matter.  For support contracts it probably
matters quite a bit.

--
Matt Brodeur                                                     RHCE
MBrodeur at NextTime.com                         http://www.nexttime.com