Does the White Russian 0.9 DynDNS client suck just as much?

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Thu Jun 14 16:59:02 EDT 2007

> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:05:37 -0400
> From: "Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com>

> On 6/14/07, VirginSnow at vfemail.net <VirginSnow at vfemail.net> wrote:
> > The problem here seems to be that the ez-ipupdate package is
> > integrated with neither the webif nor the rest of OpenWRT.
>
>   Hmmm.  It was better than that for me.  Have you installed the X-WRT
> extensions to OpenWRT?  The webif^2 subsystem is a big improvement, to
> the point where I didn't use plain OpenWRT much.  With X-WRT, I was

Yes, I followed pretty close to exactly the instructions you gave in
your OpenWRT talk.

> > Note that the settings on the DynDNS page of the webif DON"T ACTUALLY
> > CONFIGURE ez-ipupdate!  Only the Enable/Disable switch on that page
> > has any effect on real life events.  All the other settings (service
> > type, account name, password, hostname, update interval) just hang out
> > in nvram and are never actually used!
>
>   Interesting.  I'm pretty sure mine did *something* to the config
> file.  My conclusion was that it just didn't do enough.

After installing and configuring ez-ipupdate, all through the webif^2
UI, there WAS no /etc/ez-ipupdate/ez-ipupdate.conf on my filesystem.
I had to read the /etc/init.d/S52ez-ipupdate in order to find out that
it was using /etc/ez-ipupdate/ez-ipupdate.conf rather than
/etc/ez-ipupdate.conf.

> > Even there, the information supplied is extremely limited!
>
>   Yah.  ez-ipupdate does indicate in the log when it has sent a DNS
> update, though.  So you can at least find out if it *thinks* it's
> doing something.

Update shmupdate.  When running ez-ipupdate in the foreground, it told
me that "members.dyndns.org says that your IP address has not changed
since the last update".  That begs the questions, WTF is an "update",
did I just do one, and is what I just did what DynDNS requires once
every month?  Is an "update" when the IP is reported, when a new IP is
reported, or when the IP is just checked and determined to be the
same?  Without debugging output, it's impossible to tell what this
obnoxiously terse and cryptic output really means.  (Yes, I know of
another, non-Linux, operating system which does this too.)

>   Check the DynDNS web UI for your domain name.  It should indicate
> the date of the last update.  I know mine does.

Of course, logging into the DynDNS UI is an easy way to manage my
DynDNS entries.  The whole point of installing OpenWRT/ez-ipupdate
(with which fact I opened my initial post on this subject) was to
avoid having to do this by automating the update process!

When I first pulled up the DynDNS webif page, it gave me the option of
installing one of two different dyndns clients.  Maybe next time, I'll
try the other one and see if it works any better.