Recommended PCI gigabit ethernet card? OT: PC Gigabit Through put Question

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:11:49 EDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:
> I haven't checked to see what PCI-X/PCI-E does, but I've hit pretty high
> speeds with it (see below).

  I looked it up last night.  According to the always reliable
Wikipedia, PCI-X brings the bus clock to 133 MHz.  Still 64-bit.  So
8512 megabit/sec before overhead.  PCIe (PCI Express) comes in more
flavors than ice cream, but the "x1" slots are given as 250
megabyte/sec.

  (Note bytes vs bits in the above.  Not knowing the implementations
details, I'm presenting the figures as given.)

-- Ben