Linux Exchange server replacement.

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:22:33 EDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> Calendaring is HUGE in the MS world.  MS users can not live without
> it.  Yet, there is no mention of this one killer feature of Exchange
> that I found.

  It might be worth noting that Outlook implements calendaring as just
another class of the same IPM object that regular messages are.
Meeting invitations are just special hidden messages.  Free/Busy
Information is just IPM objects written to a hidden Public Folder.
The Exchange server itself has very little awareness of the
calendaring.  So if they've got the Exchange wire protocol working,
they might not need to worry about it; it's mostly done in Outlook.
(Of course, there are probably details that matter, but I figured I'd
toss this out there).

> But there are still a lot of unanswered questions, like, what if I'm in a
> non-windows environment and want to provide an Exchange-like service ?

  Given the reported Active Directory requirement, I'd say you're in
trouble.  ;-)

-- Ben