Non Linux but network tech question

kenta kenta at guster.net
Fri Jun 15 22:09:51 EDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, sean wrote:
> Here is the problem.
> The local ISP they use, Comcast, gives them a free connection, but the
> address is dynamic.
> When on that time the address renews and is not the same, they link to
> the online catalog cannot be reached. Looking it over the link is
> specified by an IP address.

I also use Comcast and my IP rarely changes. I think I may be on the same
IP now for maybe a year and a half to two years.  The trick is... keep
your equipment running. Generally I've found that the Comcast DHCP server
pretty much respects the lease renewals as long as you're there.  Throw
your router and cable modem on a UPS and just leave it be.

A cheap UPS will keep those two devices running for a long time.

-Kenta