Does the White Russian 0.9 DynDNS client suck just as much?

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Tue Jun 19 22:54:46 EDT 2007

OK, I had assumed cable and DSL modems behaved the same. My DSL modem
has a static internal IP address, and transparently handles the
external dynamic address. The only way I've been able to detect
the external address from a script is to ssh to an external shell
account and then look at what address I came from.

On Sun, June 17, 2007 1:10 pm, Ben Scott said:
> On 6/15/07, John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>   *Psssst*  White Russian runs on the router.  :-)
>>
>> Actually, the "router" to the ISP is the cable or DHL modem,
>> not the wrt54g.
>
>   Actually, the WRT54G is normally a router, and likely *the* router.
> All the cable modems I've seen have been strictly layer two
> devices[1], performing no IP routing functions.  "Classic" DSL modems
> were the same way.  Both bridged Ethernet frames on to the WAN, and IP
> level stuff didn't happen until you got to the DSLAM/CMTS at the
> CO/headend.  This is changing somewhat with DSL; the CPE Verizon has
> been providing for the past few years can also act as a NAT router.  I
> expect the cable industry will get there eventually, too.
>
> (DSLAM = DSL Access Multiplexer; CMTS = Cable Modem Termination
> System: The equipment at the "other end" of your local pipe.  CO =
> Central Office; Headend = not an acronym (we're not sure how that
> happened): The place said equipment is housed.  CPE = Customer
> Premises Equipment.)
>
> [1] Well, they often have the ability to be assigned an IP address for
> management purposes, but that is as an end-node, not a gateway.
>
> -- Ben
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

IM: jabr at jabber.blu.org / abreauj at AIM / abreauj at Yahoo / zusa_it_mgr at Skype