Stupid server semantic argument (was: Non Linux but network tech question)

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Wed Jun 20 11:44:13 EDT 2007

> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:09:47 -0400
> From: "Shawn K. O'Shea" <shawn at eth0.net>

> I guess to take any ambiguity or semantics out of it, Comcast does not
> want you to do the following:
> run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide
> network content or any other services to anyone outside of your
> Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public
> services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers
> include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing,
> and proxy services and servers;
>
> That's straight from the horse's mouth for anyone curious:
> http://www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp

According to this language, SSHing into your box, accessing your WRT
webif from the 'Net, VNCing, and VPNing into your Premesis LAN from
outside would not be allowed.  Perhaps these TOS should include an
exception for remote access to the LAN by the _LAN owner_.  Wouldn't
simply saying something like "no part of you Service shall be
redistributed to others" be sufficient?  It would certainly be much
clearer...