RFC: Audio recording of LUG meetings?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Jun 20 21:28:50 EDT 2007

We've had regular requests to record meetings from:

1. attendees who can't make it to a meeting
2. folks far away who'd like to hear what we're doing
3. the Chief Archivist to help remember what was said
4. the speaker to have a recording of their presentation

A friend was recently showing off a nice little gadget from Turtle Beach
[1] that has the horsepower to record (stereo) a LUG presentation. I'd
suggest we'd want a wireless mike for the speaker and ideally, a
directional mike the recordist could point at the audience when a
question was asked (okay, the cheap version is to ask the speaker to
repreat the question). Dan Bricklin described the kind of set-up he uses
for recording Mass Technology Leadership Council meetings here [2], and
it seems like we could do something similar.

REQUEST FOR COMMENTS:

Is this a good idea? Is it feasible? Who listens to audiocasts and would
they find these valuable? What concerns are there?

There's a lot of good information out there on how to make audio
recordings ("audiocasts") available on the web.

What we might need to do:

1. Hardware loaned to the group

2. Volunteer to be our sound engineer for a meeting: could be a
transient (whoever's handy) position, depending on hardware requirements
and training needed.

3. Volunteers for post-production engineering to turn the recording into
an audiocast suitable for download and/or RSS?

Please discuss. Anyone got audio equipment they'd like to try out, an
interest in playing sound engineer, would be interested in hearing these
audiocasts (if no one's interested, why bother?). Comments, suggestions
welcomed.

[1] http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/audio-advantage-srm/whatdoineed.aspx

[2] http://danbricklin.com/log/2007_04_12.htm#weinberger
--