Solaris/x86 rant (was: Any advice on Solaris laptops?)

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 09:52:02 EDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/21/07, Shawn K. O'Shea <shawn at eth0.net> wrote:
> > Without going on my typical rant about Solaris/x86 ...
>   Okay, I'm curious, and this list has been starved for *nix-related
> discussion lately.  What's your typical rant?  :-)

  An easy one to target is the fact that every few years, Sun decides
to phase out Solaris x86, then rekindle it once again.

  Additionally, one of the 'features' is Linux binary compatibility,
so Solaris x86 can use Linux drivers, as it's own support of x86
hardware is limited.

  So in the end, you have questionable backing of the product in
general, but to make up for lack of support, it can use Linux drivers,
and even run Linux apps.  So one has to ask.  What's the point?  :-)

--
-- Thomas