Solaris/x86 rant (was: Any advice on Solaris laptops?)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jun 21 12:19:43 EDT 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 10:29, Thomas Charron wrote:

>   ZFS is nice, yes.  But does it offer a large enough benefit to
> justify a shift to an entirely different operating system?

I think the answer is 'yes', if your needs are a match for ZFS.

Now, without sparking a 60-message thread of "what is an OS?" I'll
just say the next file server I build is going to be based on Nexenta:

   http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/Nexenta_OS

which is for all intents and purposes Ubuntu on the OpenSolaris kernel.

So you don't have to learn anything new outside of the kernel space.
I haven't been a Solaris sysadmin since 2.6, so I'm happier just
having my machine look mostly like Linux.  It will be interesting to
see what Debian does when OpenSolaris goes GPL3 and Linux doesn't.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/