Application-accessible nvram/cache for Linux?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Thu Jun 21 14:53:38 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Someone just asked me if I had ever heard of an Intel-based system
with application-accessible non-volatile RAM.  The idea is that OS
could move things out of swap and/or system memory into nvram
(battery-backed is okay) in the case of a power failure similar to the
way RAID controllers do.

We have a RAID system with battery-backed cache which is about 1GB.
I'm told that 1GB of nvram would be fine for whatever they have in
mind.

I've never heard of anything like this, has anyone here?

Thanks.
--
Seeya,
Paul