Solaris/x86 rant (was: Any advice on Solaris laptops?)

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Thu Jun 21 12:11:02 EDT 2007

> And there's the retro naming of SunOS 4.x to Solaris 1.x.

ummm, that was way more than a "retro naming".

SunOS was based on the BSD kernel and the BSD code, modified a long time
under Sun.

Solaris was based on System V.4, with Sun ripping it apart and basically
re-writing it.

SunOS was related to Solaris much the same way that Ultrix (BSD based)
was related to Digital Unix (OSF/1 ripped apart and re-written by
Digital).

As a side note we never really released a "V1.0" of Digital's OSF/1
system.  We started with V1.2, I believe....we figured no one would use
a V1.0 :-)

md