Application-accessible nvram/cache for Linux?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Fri Jun 22 10:14:37 EDT 2007

>> I don't think they want a drive, they want something like a
>> battery-backed cache but accessible from user space.
>
>Somebody who's done systems programming more recently than me,
>please speak up, but if you do find a suitable device that
>looks like a drive, you might be able to create a big file on
>it and mmap(2) it into system memory.

I was thinking along those lines, too, but unless you can
force every write to the memory associated with the mmap'd
device to immediately trigger a (synchronous) flush to that
device the data will just get cached.  Of course, the larger
question here is: WTF are they actually trying to accomplish?
Maybe using battery-backed RAM is a b0rken approach...