[gnhlug-jobs] [NH Jobs List] Job: Network/Database Administrator - Manchester

Lori Nagel jastiv at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 08:29:42 EDT 2007

                     Free software is for everyone, not just nerds and geeks.  If someone can use Word, they can use free replacements such as OpenOffice.org.  For companies, it does not make sense to spend money on proprietary software, especially when free replacements are already available.
  Asking for documents in a proprietary format does not make a good impression on potential candidates.  Perhaps this list should have a policy of not accepting ads that request documents in such a format.

Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote: VirginSnow at vfemail.net writes:

>> From: kevin_d_clark at comcast.net (Kevin D. Clark)
>> Date: 28 Jun 2007 17:22:22 -0400
>
>> From: "Joe Redshaw"
>> Subject: [NH Jobs List] Job: Network/Database Administrator - Manchester
>> To: nhjobslist at yahoogroups.com
>> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:21:25 -0000
>>
>> If you are interested, please e-mail me a formal resume attached to
>> a Word Document and then we can set up a time to speak. If you know
>
>> someone who might be interested/qualified, I would greatly
>> appreciate any referrals.
>>
>> My Client is looking for a highly motivated and creative individual
>> to manage and maintain all aspects of their Linux based server
>> network and PostgreSQL databases.  They provide a highly automated

> Is this a joke?  Is this solicitation meant seriously?

Why wouldn't it be?  The world runs on Windows and Office.  This is
the only way most non-geek (i.e. normal) people operate.  You don't
have to like it and you don't have to respond to it.  Nor do you need
to be rude about it.  Doing so, especially publicly, provides both a
bad impression of you specifically, and of the Free/Open Source
community more generally, as arrogant and opinionated.

We don't need that.  This person is looking for help, not snarky
retorts.  Someone here may be looking for job, and might not get it
now that this person may have a bad opinion of this group thanks to
comments like this.

--
Paul