[gnhlug-jobs] [NH Jobs List] Job: Network/Database Administrator - Manchester

David J Berube djberube at berubeconsulting.com
Fri Jun 29 09:49:46 EDT 2007

Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:

 > I think you are free to ignore those ads, but I would hate to block a
 > potential job for a FOSS person just because the format requested is not
 > open.  I think that choice should be up to the potential applicant.
 >
 > I will also note that OO both reads and writes .doc format.
 >
 > md

In fact, it seems to me that making FOSS an all-or-nothing choice is
detrimental to everyone concerned, and that if an organization only
wishes to adopt FOSS partially, they should be able to do that.

Insisting that they use an open document format in job postings is akin
to suggesting that they need to change the way their organization
operates in order to even begin employing FOSS - which I do not believe
is good for anyone, since it leads to less FOSS usage, making it easier
to disregard FOSS compatibility and giving less incentive to contribute
to FOSS projects.

Take it easy,

David Berube
Berube Consulting