RAID Controllers and Linux: Ugh!

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Fri Jun 29 17:06:17 EDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Warren Luebkeman <warren at resara.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if you know of any hardware companies that sell server
> configurations that have REAL Linux support, which basically means all
> the hardware will work with any Linux distro, vs. just Redhat and
> Suse? It would be great to be able to order a server and not have to
> spend hours determining if all the hardware is actually supported.

Dell appears to have fairly good Linux support on their PowerEdge
series. There's even a mailing list dedicated to it.[1] I can't
personally attest to how well or unwell it runs, as we've only been
running FreeBSD on our PowerEdge 2850s.

Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>     http://kyzoku.2bithacker.net/
GCM/IT d+(-) s+:++ a25>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+
V-- PS+ PE Y+ PGP++ t+@ R@ tv@ b++@ DI++++ D+(-) G++ e>++ h>++ r-- y?