[gnhlug-jobs] [NH Jobs List] Job: Network/Database Administrator - Manchester

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 19:13:02 EDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:

> > Why does their ignorance of file formats constiture them as being a
> > goof?  Can you explain the difference between the EFA and the MSCI
> > EAFE ?  If not, does that make you a goof?  Just because someone is
> > ignorant of something is not a license to deride them or call them
> > names.  Please think about the message that sends about you and it's
> > reflection upon this group?
> I was speaking of my experience of recruiters I've dealt with, both
> looking for, and applying for jobs. They tend to have no idea what
> they're doing and throw as many people at as many jobs as possible.
> These people, in my opinion, are goofs. You talk to them about how
> you're a Linux/Unix admin and after the 4th call about a MSCE job,
> and after explaining AGAIN that you do not want a job that's mostly
> MS, and that you don't have a MSCE your opinion of these people that
> are suppose to be helping you goes down.

  And they don't understand you, and think you're a goof, for not
wanting to look at jobs based on the company that makes the tools
their using.  ;-)

  And I think the point people have tried to make is, we understand
the wiseass comments, but basically calling someone an idiot for
asking for a resume in a format Microsoft Word can read is counter
productive.

> I can not explain the difference between EFA ad MSCI EAFE I do not
> sell, promote, or try to acquire any product or service that uses
> those. If I did, I would at least spend a little bit of time finding
> that out.

  This point, is accurate.  I truely wish recruiters would educate
themselves, so they could be BETTER recruiters.  I generally brush off
a recruiter unless they present something that's VERY interesting when
they have no clue what their talking about, and are just going to make
*ME* look stupid going to an interview after being represented by
them.

> If I'm a recruiter or an HR  person and somebody came to me with a
> job rec I would at least talk to the person looking for the job/
> employee and get a feel for what's going on.

  But your not.  :-)  And the general trend is, recruiters are best at
marketing.  And we all know what marketing is like around technology.
*snickers*

--
-- Thomas