Looking for old ISO's

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 14:54:35 EST 2007

On 3/1/07, klussier at comcast.net <klussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am looking for some old Debian ISO's. I am looking for Debian testing (sarge) from on or
> around Jan. 5, 2006 and May 13, 2006. Any ideas on where I can locate such things?

  I think you're screwed.  The ISO images from "testing" are rebuilt
weekly, and aren't really revision controlled or anything like that.
There's not even an easy way to identify when a given image was built.
 You have to mount it and poke around in the files.

  How close to the target dates do you need?  I *might* still have the
CD-RW I recorded to bootstrap my "etch" install last summer, if I
didn't re-use it for something else already.  I'll dig around after
work tonight.

  You could, in theory, use the source code revision control systems
in place for Debian to "go back in time" for each package, check out
the sources from that time period, and rebuild everything from
scratch.  Kind of like rebuilding the Titanic from original plans.
But it would probably be more productive to re-architect whatever
system got you into this mess in the first place... :-/

-- Ben