LaCie Ethernet Disk RAID

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 20:09:47 EST 2007

On 3/1/07, thinkliberty <thinkliberty at gmail.com> wrote:
> How could a sane company use software in their product without agreeing or
> understanding the License?

  Happens all the time, and not just with FOSS.  Proprietary, closed,
payware gets redistributed/included illegally quite often, too.  At
work, I've gotten plenty of stuff that embeds some commercial product.
 I always check the licenses.  It's happened that the license says not
to distribute, so I contact the software OEM, and they confirm that
redistribution is not permitted.

  Heck, look at LinkSys.  Originally, they didn't want to release the
modified source for their WRT54G line of SOHO routers.  Once they were
forced to, people took it and improved it, and that led to enough
sales that LinkSys actually released new models specifically for that
target market.

> If I owned any Lacie stock I would sell it.

  It worked out okay for LinkSys.

-- Ben