Looking for old ISO's

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Mar 2 13:55:40 EST 2007

klussier at comcast.net writes:

>> "Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:

>> But it would probably be more productive to re-architect whatever
>> system got you into this mess in the first place... :-/
>
> That's where I am at right now. I am going to re-architect the entire
> thing.

Depending upon how complicated your installer needs to be, you might
want to look at Finnix.  It's an extremely stripped down knoppix-like
LiveCD, but it weighs in at under 100MB.  This means you could
ostensibly carry a local cache of debs on the CD, and use some shell
script magic to do things like partition and format the drives, then
install everything from the CD to the harddrive.

I'm looking at possibly doing something similar.  And, rumor has it,
that FAI-CD is pretty good, but learning FAI has a rather steep
learning curve, and well, then there's the issue of dealing with the
FAI shell/perl code which kinda make me twitch a little.  Oh okay, a
lot :)

I coerced finnix last week into installing a full system under QEMU.
It was actually pretty cool.  Now I'm trying to get QEMU to use PXE to
boot and install against my FAI server.  That's going to take some
magic :)

--
Seeya,
Paul