Fwd: Objections to JTC-1 Fast-Track Processing of the Ecma 376 Specification v. 0.1

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 00:30:16 EST 2007

And here is the official response.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bryden <bryden at iso.org>
Date: Mar 5, 2007 3:11 AM
Subject: RE: Objections to JTC-1 Fast-Track Processing of the Ecma 376
Specification v. 0.1
To: Greg Rundlett <greg.rundlett at gmail.com>

Dear Mr. Rundlett,

Thank you for your comments on ECMA 376, which we have carefully noted.

As you may know the review period on ECMA 376 fast track has ended. The
comments submitted by the participating ("P") members of ISO/IEC JTC 1 have
been sent to ECMA, as the fast track submitter, with a request to ECMA to
review the comments and provide the JTC 1 Secretariat with a response to
them by the end of February 2007.

If following this action, the JTC 1 Secretariat decides, in consultation
with ISO and IEC, to progress the project further, it will be submitted to
the P members of JTC 1 and all ISO/IEC national bodies for a five month
vote. In order that national bodies may develop a position of acceptance or
refusal of ECMA 376;  national delegations and experts will prepare
positions and provide forums for developing national consensus. This process
provides all stakeholders the opportunity to comment and contribute and, by
vote of the national bodies, to decide in a timely manner, whether an
International Standard meets market needs.  It is therefore important that
your views be provided to the appropriate ISO/IEC national body during this
process.

We hope our brief explanation of the ongoing process assures you that
stakeholder views are being considered through the ISO and IEC national
consulation processes.  .

I wish to thank you for comments and contributions.

Yours sincerely,

Alan Bryden
Secretary-General
ISO