Portable audio player

Shawn K. O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Tue Mar 6 12:53:24 EST 2007

> * Inexpensive
> * Linux compatible
> * Inexpensive
> * mp3 playback (ogg would be nice, but not required)
> * Inexpensive
> * Has a standard 1/8" headphone jack (are there any that don't?)
> * Inexpensive

A little over a year ago, I bought my best friend a SanDisk Sansa
player from their e100 series
(http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1073)-SanDisk_Sansa_e100_Series_MP3_Players.aspx).
MSRP on the 512MB is 60$ and the 1GB is 90$. It comes with an FM radio
tuner and an SD card slot for expansion. She loves hers. I bought it
at one of the office stores (Office Depot or the now defunct Office
Max) and it even had a rebate on it at the time.

I can't guarentee it will work with Linux, but under Windows, it just
comes up as a USB mass storage device (and off course, you could
always preload SD cards with a supported Linux reader).

Some very quick google's show that there has been success at least
with the e200 series with automounters sticking them on /media/<device
name> so it's likely that the e100 series is the same.

-Shawn