[Fwd: Re: pcHDTV 5500 card - Connector comes loose?]

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 19:54:08 EST 2007

On 3/6/07, Jon 'maddog' Hall <maddog at li.org> wrote:
> I received an answer from the President of pcHDTV.  Apparently the
> sleeve is that way by design.

  Ah-ha.  Neil Schelly had the right of it after all.

  I can't say I'm overly impressed with the design of this
"break-away" connector [1], but I guess it does afford some protection
for very little additional manufacturing cost.  It is certainly good
to know they actually put some thought into it.

  Given that others have complained about the same thing [2], it might
be a good idea for the manufacturer to put a note card in the box
saying it is by design.

Footnotes
---------
[1] It comes off *too* easy.  It also transmits any stress that
doesn't pull the connector off (such as side-to-side flexing) into the
solder joins for the tuner module.  I would much prefer the connector
be attached to the bracket for strain relief.  That would not preclude
the use of a slide-on barrel on the outside of the card for break-away
purposes.
[2] http://applications.linux.com/print.pl?sid=06/12/19/1627229
    http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/12/19/1628229.shtml?tid=75&tid=130

-- Ben