x86 emulator for PPC Mac OS X?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 13:18:09 EST 2007

On 3/9/07, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> ... VMWare seems to only support the newer Intel Macs ...

  FYI: VMware only virtualizes an x86 machine into multiple x86
machines.  It doesn't provide processor emulation -- that is, it
cannot create a virtual x86 on a PowerPC machine.

  Bochs is a platform-independent FOSS x86 emulator.  I've never used
it.  I've heard it works okay, but is very slow.  The Bochs logo
includes the BSD daemon, so that's promising for your cause.
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

  If you do have VirtualPC, I'd recommend trying that first, as I
understand VirtualPC is optimized for PowerPC, which should yield
better performance than Bochs.

-- Ben