[GNHLUG] Re: Hosstraders Dead, but NEARFest Lives!!

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Sat Mar 17 22:15:19 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 19:46 -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 3/17/07, Jon 'maddog' Hall <maddog at li.org> wrote:
> > So maybe they should call it Farscape...no, no...Fun Amateur Radio Fest
> > (FARfest)....
>
>   "Farfest" is already taken by another ham group: http://www.farfest.org/
>
>   Crackers don't matter!
>
> -- Ben
Yes, I found out about "www.farfest.org" after suggesting (in fun) that they call
it that.  I did recommend to Ed Lawson that he speak to them about their
name.  If "NEARFest" becomes successful and well known, they may have
problems with the name.

In the meantime Ed came back with a real web site:

        Actually the website is up and it can be found at:

        Http://www.near-fest.com

        You point is well taken however and time will tell.

        Ed lawson

and I found out that they are going to charge a $20. deposit on computer
monitors to make sure that people take them back out with them.  And
there is a "no alcohol" policy and a "zero tolerance" policy for the
enforcement of that.  I do not really mind, since the cold and my
diabetes has forced me away from such things at Hosstraders, but some
people will feel their style cramped without their 21" monitor (and some
of you probably thought I was talking about the alcohol).....

Maybe we can get them to change their minds about the monitors.

md