Making Progress [ was x86 emulator for PPC Mac OS X? ]

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Mar 20 09:52:09 EDT 2007

Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> writes:

>> Did the docs mention whether it was only on a PPC system that it
>> crashed?
>
> They didn't mention which version.  I seem to be running v.9.0, not
> sure of the sub-version (i.e. dXX).  I'll play around with it some
> more and see what I can get.  Maybe it's just having problems booting
> from a floppy image vs. a cdrom ISO image.

So, I seem to have gotten past the boot/install process and now
successfully have 2 OpenBSD VMs running under QEMU on my Mac
PowerBook.  My next hurdle is getting the tun/tap stuff running, which
seems to be giving quite a few people a lot of trouble.  Apparently
Apple horked the networking code in Tiger such that the tun/tap driver
which (reportedly) used to work find under Panther no longer does so.

I may be able to do what I want without the tun/tap networking, but it
sure would be more fun with it :)

So, I can now try out all sorts of distros on my Mac :)

If y'all haven't played with QEMU, it's a slick little VM.  It's free,
runs *really* well under Linux, and is useful for all sorts of things.

And before anyone asks, yes, I'll be glad to do a presentation on this
as soon as someone figures out teleportation to get me from Cambridge
to Nashua with a pit-stop at home to see my kids in between :)

--
Seeya,
Paul