Making Progress with x86 emulator for PPC Mac OS X

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Mar 20 10:55:49 EDT 2007

"Tom Buskey" <tom at buskey.name> writes:

> Are you running PPC or x86 OpenBSD?

x86.

> I've been trying to play with it under Solaris 10 x86 and haven't done the
> tun/tap stuff yet.  I was able to get XP to run updates though.

QEMU's user-based networking will "just work" with respect to using
the host OS's network as an internet connection, but you can't
actually do any real networking stuff with the guest.  QEMU
essentially has a built in firewall/router than NATs the packets .

With the tun/tap stuff you can have the guest OS create a bridge on
one of it's physical NICs and have your guest OS use normal IP address
to appear to other systems on your LAN as just another system.  I have
this up and running under Linux, Mac OS seems more difficult :(

With the user-land QEMU networking, you can use the -redir option to
redirect specific udp and/or tcp ports, which means I can, if I want,
still redirect X or use ssh from the host to the guest.  But I can't
do things like NFS mount file systems from other systems to the guest,
etc.

> VMware seems to be faster, but I'm not running the kemu module.  VMware
> isn't an option for you on PPC nor me on Solaris.  kemu is available for
> Solaris x86, but not PPC.  I'm not sure about MacOSX x86.

I'm not using the kemu accelerator either, and as you said, VMWare
isn't an option :(

> QEMU has a nice tool that will convert VMware images to/from QEMU so you can
> should be able to grab the prebuilt VMware appliances to use with QEMU.

That's a possibility, though I'm using this as a means of learning
while stuck on the train 2 hours a day, what fun is there in using an
appliance? (Hmmm, do they have a beer-dispensing appliance?  ;)

> VMware has a (free beer) ... application

Now THAT would be useful!  I've been looking for a free beer
application for quite a while! ;)

--
Seeya,
Paul