MonadLUG notes, 8-March-2007: Pitch your distro

Tyson Sawyer tyson at j3.org
Tue Mar 20 13:22:25 EDT 2007

On 3/20/07, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:
> I started using Linux in the summer of '92 (get off my lawn!), so it was
> even pre-distro.  IIRC, there has always been an IP stack of some sort,
> since I had a Western Digital *mumble* ISA Ethernet controller that I
> could use to network with one of my roommates.
>
> PPP (or was it SLIP?) was working then as well.

Thinking that that was about when I started using linux with SLS, I
decided to check you facts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System

Looks like SLS came out in the summer of '92 and it was shiny new when
I first tried it.

...I even managed to toast a monitor while trying to get X running. :-)

SLS sucked.  Slackware was the first distro that actually worked well.
 However, tar is not a package management system.  I went from
Slackware to Caldera (yikes!), to Red Hat, to Suse and now I've
recently started using Ubuntu.

Cheers!
Ty

...oh crap!  I replied to a message that came from a list, but when I
was about to click send I see that my reply doesn't go back to where
the message came from.  Now off to edit the To: field before I can
click send.

--
Tyson D Sawyer

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent
of many bad measures.   - Daniel Webster