Packrat or Archivist?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Mar 21 09:56:19 EDT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:55:50 -0400
Ric Werme <ewerme at comcast.net> wrote:

> "The only thing worse than fanfold paper tape is non-fanfold paper tape."
> (Bob Clements)  Anyone who has tried feeding rolled paper tape through one
> of DEC's 330 cps readers would surely agree.
Burger King's original Manex point of sale system circa 1974 was a
Digital PDP-8 M based system. In the restaurants, the system did not
have any storage media or even a front panel and relied on its 4K
(12-bit word) core memory. It would transmit its data nightly to Miami.
The AMF service people carried a kit that included a front panel and
a PPT reader and the POS software with the proper tax functions for the
region. Miami could upload any part of the software. The Miami HQ had
an ASR 33. The OS was developed on a Burroughs system that had a PAL
cross assembler. We only needed a bootstrap program so we could upload
the OS from the mainframe. We also had a PPT reader/punch we could plug
into our PGP-8.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group