Packrat or Archivist? [ was Adventures in GPG ]

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Mar 22 08:15:13 EDT 2007

On 3/21/07, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/21/07, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
>
>   I *have* heard horror stories about optical discs.  Manufacturing
> defects have lead to problems after only a few years.  Apparently,
> those giant spindles of unmarked media you can buy for ten cents a
> disc suffer from poor quality control.  Whodathunkit?  ;-)

I've been putting my photos on archival gold DVDs.  They have a special
scratch resistant layer as well.  Along w/ multiple cheap copies.

  Good quality optical media, properly stored (not just light --
> temperature and humidity matter, too) is probably a pretty safe bet.
>
>   I would be interested to see hard data of actual performance in this
> area, though.  Not simulations in test chambers, but actual longevity.
> From an unbiased source, not a CD-R manufacturer.  With a decent
> sample size.  Something like "FooCo has a library of 5000 CD-R discs,
> over 2000 of which are at least ten years old.  They tested 50 discs,
> and found no failures.

NIST has a paper out on CD archival stuff.

Photographers are very interested in the topic.  They used to being able to
"store slides in a shoebox for 50 years".  Now they have horror stories
about losing all the photos on a drive.  Workflow and inventory management
is key for a pro.