Packrat or Archivist? [ was Adventures in GPG ]

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 10:06:35 EDT 2007

[disregard previous empty message (stupid fingers)]

On 3/22/07, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
>> I would be interested to see hard data of actual performance in this
>> area, though.
>
> NIST has a paper out on CD archival stuff.

  The only NIST stuff I've seen has been discussing standards of
measurement (i.e., how to measure reliability and longevity), theory
(i.e., what is likely to contribute to longevity (or lack there of)),
or simulation trials (e.g., media in harsh environment chambers).  I
haven't seen anything about actual results of real-world usage.
Pointers welcomed.

> Photographers are very interested in the topic.

  Everybody with data they want to keep should be interested in this
topic.  That is: Everybody, period.  But the technology is too new for
the risks to have become acculturated.  It will take many more horror
stories before that changes.

--
"One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel / And the next it's rolling over me"
                                                  -- Rush, "Far Cry"