Safety Tip: aim caff away from foot before triggering...

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:41:06 EDT 2007

On 3/22/07, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
> Um. I tried a couple of things and just managed to mangle up my shell
> windows with lines-and-boxes font characters.

  Sounds like you ended up with binary output on a terminal.

  To un-fsck the terminal emulator, issue the command:

	reset

(One nice thing about that is you can easily type it blind.)

  I suspect what you need to do for the export key part is ASCII
armoring.  Otherwise, you get a binary file.  Aside from being less
portable than ASCII, it messes up the terminal.  I believe you want to
use the "--ascii" switch.

  What I don't know is how to strip user IDs from exported keys.  The
caff man page advertises that, when it mails a key to someone, it
strips off all user IDs except for the one being mailed to.

  For example, suppose I have a key with two user IDs attached to it:
bscott at example.com and dragonhawk at example.net.  As I understand it,
the best practice is to strip the dragonhawk at example.net user ID when
mailing to bscott at example.com, so that bscott at example.com only gets
the bscott at example.com user ID.  But I don't know how that works.  Or
even if I understand it correctly.

--
"One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel / And the next it's rolling over me"
                                                  -- Rush, "Far Cry"