"Simply Amazing" and "Head Slappers"

Python python at venix.com
Thu Mar 22 18:38:36 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 17:35 -0400, John Abreau wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Python <python at venix.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought I was up on Python packages, but this was new to me.
> > I've been using dirvish which relies on rsync for the network traffic,
> >         http://www.dirvish.org/
> > but saves a full copy of the changed file.  Files are hard-linked into
> > daily snap-shot directories.  It works well for backing up remote web
> > sites (html/css files) where the changes are often not incremental, but
> > is worthless for database and log files.  rdiff looks like the perfect
> > complement to dirvish.
>
> I've been using rsnapshot (http://www.rsnapshot.org) for my backps.
> I hadn't thought about log files being a problem, but for databases,
> rsnapshot has an option to backup a "command" where it runs the
> command on the remote machine from within a temp directory,
> then rsync's that temp directory. Backing up the command
> "mysql -A > mysql.sql" does a good job of backing up a database.

Yes.  But if it is like dirvish, one changed record means a whole new
mysql.sql in the daily snapshot directory.  rdiff would presumably store
a delta saving space and allowing finer grained recovery points within a
given disk quota.

My strategy with MySQL is an sql snapshot as you specified, but then
accumulate all of the "bin logs" until it is time for the next sql
snapshot.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp