Dividing The List Considered Harmful [Was: Re: Subject Lines on the Mailing list: [WAS: Looking for a NH mail list talking about Linux]]

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:02:18 EDT 2007

My $0.02:
If a couple of guys are posting something you're tired of hearing about on
the list, and you don't want to do some sort of filtering to drop it... send
all those discussing it on list an OFF-LIST polite note "Isn't that sort of
offtopic?  The chatter's drowning out the Linux talk."

I don't know about you guys, but I'd get embarassed (assuming it wasn't
obviously on-topic, like discussion of how well Linux ran on a laptop I was
considering buying) and drop it.  Anyone who doesn't get the hint will
undoubtedly be jumped on on-list anyway.

In my experience, technical solutions to something that isn't a technical
problem are unlikely to work, just as political solutions to technical
problems are unlikely to work.

--DTVZ