Hey, procmail gurus

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Mar 27 15:30:15 EDT 2007

On Tuesday, Mar 27th 2007 at 12:00 -0500, quoth Bill Freeman:

=>I have found that, usually, when a list posting has generated 10 or 20
=>replies, I'm no longer interested in the follow-ups.  Can procmail count
=>messages with the smae subject line (preferably ignore the depth of
=>"Re:") and discard or divert additional messages once the count has
=>been reached?  (There would be obvious refinements, such as being
=>able to declare a thread interesting, letting it evade the count, but
=>that's for later.)
=>
=>Or maybe I should do a python script.

I don't think pythin is going to help you. What you need is memory.

In procmail (or whatever marvel of nature you come up) you're going to
need  to create a file (with locking of course) which contains your state
(in this case a count). Whenever you get a message to this list on the
same subject, just increment the counter. Of course the counter would have
to be the value of a hash so you can have multiple subjects that you can
want to be tired of. And, the people who would try to help you would never
be heard since the really good help probably wouldn't come until after 10
or 20 replies, and by then you would have lost interest. ;-)

--
steveo at syslang dot net TMMP1 http://frambors.syslang.net/
Do you have neighbors who are not frambors?