Topic threading tech (not this list in particular) (was: Dividing The List Considered Harmful)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 21:15:13 EDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Mark E. Mallett <mem at mv.mv.com> wrote:
> Oh, and back to a previous subject... simply changing the subject text
> isn't really enough.  When a threat mutates, you really want a new one,
> which means getting rid of the "References" links.

  Hmmm.  Interesting take.  I've always found the References links
*useful* for keeping track of the "bigger picture" of how a
conversation came about.  I've been annoyed when reading archives and
found things out-of-sequence when those links are broken.  It never
occurred to me that someone might see that as a feature.  Hmmm.

  As far as implementation goes, any idea what mail readers (if any)
implement this functionality natively?  (That is, provide a function
for "Reply without References".  You could always do it with
cut-and-paste, of course.)

  Shouldn't a good threaded reader with thread-kill capability be able
to kill just a designated fork/subthread?

> mm  (my opinionated.info)

  I'm such a geek.  I actually looked that up with whois to see who
owned it.  Turns out it really *is* yours!  Well done!  :-)

-- Ben