LinuxMCE install

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 11:49:04 EDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> "Thomas Charron" <twaffle at gmail.com> writes:
> >   What's worse, I can't access a console to try to figure out myself
> > what's going on.
> Errr, why not? Is there a serial consonle? Did they disable
> Ctrl-alt-F<1-6> ?  What boot loader are they using?  Can you edit the
> boot line and give yourself a console?  How about booting off of
> Knoppix and editing /etc/passwd appropriately and turn on a virtual
> console?

  Didn't get that far yet.  Ctrl-alt doesn't seem to work.  They are
using Grub I believe for the loader.  Guess I'm just disappointed in
that it didn't 'just work'.  :-)

> > It did set up a web server, which prompts me to add
> > a new user.  Doesn't seem to do much, just hangs at Create New User
> > unfortionatly.
> Have you added a new user?

  Tried to.  After clicking submit on the web form, the web server
stops responding.

> >   I suspect I chose something wrong, but I can say this much.  It
> > isn't happy.  :-D
> What about logs?  Oh, right, you can figure out how to get at those.
> See above :)
> This can't be hard, it's Linux on commodity hardware that you have
> both direct access, control, and ownership of :)

  Shouldn't be.  But LinuxMCE pretty much takes control of your entire
install, and changes 'everything' to it's own view of the world.

--
-- Thomas