big mailing lists / slashdotable hosting

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Mar 30 14:28:37 EDT 2007

"Seth Cohn" <sethcohn at gnuhampshire.org> writes:

> On 3/28/07, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:

>> what it would take to run a mailing list with a quarter million
>> subscribers.  (all opt-in, non-spam, properly run).

[...]
>> 1) software - I hear mailman can scale that big with a mysql
>> backend.
>
> Bleh.  With that many subscribers, it's not a many to many list, it's
> a one to many list, and mailman is the wrong tool.  There is but one
> good answer (IMHO): phplist.

Can you expound upon the differences, pros/cons, etc. of phplist
vs. mailman (or any other) mlm?  I'm not asking you to reveal the
entirety of the presentation that Ben's about to ask you for ;) But a
quick, basic overview would be welcome if you don't mind.

I know only mailman, and I know I don't like what I know :)

>> think, but quite expensive per bit.  in-house has advantages as I can
>> do things like rate-limiting to reduce the load, but:
>
> phplist will do that, in a variety of ways.

Can you explain?  Is this different than bandwidth limiting and/or
traffic shaping?

Thanks.
--
Seeya,