VMWare player under Linux

Chris Linstid clinstid at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:37:58 EDT 2007

On 5/7/07, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> I have some questions specific to VMWare player that I have not been
> able to get answered to my satisfaction yet.
> 1. Can VMWare player under Linux run Windows XP  as a guest.

Yes, but you need a VM for it (which must be created using either
VMware workstation or server).

> 2. Conversely, can VMWare player under Windows XP run Linux as a guest.

Yes, and you can get free "appliances" to download with already
installed distributions, including the VMware tools.  Very hand if you
just want to play around without spending too much time doing the
install.

> 3. Can VMWare player under Linux run other Linux distros.

Yep, same as 2.

> Basically, my impression is that its VMs must be created by Workstation
> (or GSX or ESX).

That is correct, but you should know that VMware server is freely (and
legally) available:

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

> Of course, I could easily try it.

I highly suggest it. :)